Take your medicine...and store it carefully

Medicine is a good thing. But it can also be dangerous if used or treated carelessly. Poison centers manage millions of poisonings every year — a majority of which are linked to pharmaceuticals — according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Nine out of every 10 poisonings happen at home and half of all poisonings involve children under the age of 6.

Poisoning is preventable

Put it away. Store medicines and household products up high and out of sight of children. Never leave medicine out on a kitchen counter or at a sick child’s bedside.

Store medicine in a locked cabinet. Ensure children can’t use chairs or stack items to climb to products stored out of their reach. Install safety latches on cabinets used for medicines.

Clean out your medicine cabinet periodically. Safely dispose of medicines that are expired or no longer needed. (Get more details about safe medicine disposal from the Food and Drug Administration.)

Always relock the safety cap. Many incidents happen when adults are distracted while using these products. Remember that child-resistant is not childproof — it is designed to keep children away from the product for a short time before a parent notices.

Never call medicine “candy.” Tell children what medicine is and why you must be the one to give it to them.

In case of a poison emergency

Since you started reading this, 10 more people have needed a poison center. If you — or someone in your home — has come into contact with a poisonous substance, contact a poison center at (800) 222-1222.

We care about safety. To make sure you’re protected from all sorts of potential pitfalls, contact your Grinnell Mutual agent.